Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tempeh Shepherdess Pie


And hey, speaking of comfort foods, which I was in my last post a couple of weeks ago...

Note - sorry about the delay in posting, but meals have been really routine lately - beans and rice, stir-fry with store-bought stir-fry sauce featuring a tofu attempt that didn't work out right, and baked potatoes with peas and carrots cooked in a ginger-sesame sauce (oops - I suppose I should have blogged and photo'd that last one).

...
here's a veganized old favorite that I found when looking up tempeh recipes in my favorite cookbook - Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero's Veganomicon.

Who doesn't like Shepherd's Pie - mashed potatoes with good fillings? And who doesn't like one-dish casseroles? I don't see any hands raised, so I must be right.

Put those two ideas together and you've got an oldie, but a goodie. Veganize it and the fillings include cremini mushrooms, tempeh simmered in a soy sauce, peas, corn and spices.

Being a casserole, the recipe makes its own mushroom gravy. I used yellow mashed taters - my favorite being Klondike Gold. Talk about a creamy tater - even when just baked plain - wow!

This one was another creative winner from Veganomicon. I'll definitely be making it again.

TEMPEH SHEPHERDESS PIE RATING - 8

3 comments:

  1. Yum that Shepherdess Pie looks great!

    Quick question, do you mind if I take some of the pics for the recipes that you sent from your website and include them on your recipe pages for the Blogger Cookbook? It would be no trouble for me to do it, but I just wanted to have your permission first.

    Thanks,
    Abbie
    FoodsThatFit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, no problem Abbie. I'm looking forward to seeing the e-cookbook.

    ReplyDelete